Professions 101 For Profit:
Jewelcrafting with Shannon's Shenanigans
Tips for leveling Jewelcrafting:
- Have a character with Mining so you don't have to buy expensive Ore if you cannot afford it.
- Powerleveling Jewelcrafting will cost you anywhere from 10k - 20k (i have spent 12k doing this)
- Prospecting is an ability Jewelcrafters have which destroys (gathers gems) 5 of the same Common Ore (uncommon ore cannot be Destroyed to gather gems). This is key to gathering the gems needed to level up Jewelcrafting.
- Never go and just buy all materials needed at once. Get enough mats to level up to the next learned ability for Jewelcrafting
- Jewelcrafting Designs for each type of raw gem is an ability that the Jewelcrafter uses to cut the raw gems into a specific cut to make them gem a socket-able gem. Each design for these gems create specific statistics which can be used to socket gear.
- Sockets in gear/weapons have specific colors which a lot of the time mean when matched give a socket bonus. This bonus will increase a specific statistic for the gear on top of what the socketed gem provided. An orange cut gem could be used in a yellow socket to get a socket bonus if specified to use a yellow gem. Cut gems do not need to match the socket colors and still can be used to get desired statistics but in some cases the desired result comes from matching gems to the socket bonus colors.
Making Gold with Jewelcrafting:
|Prospecting Ore in Stormwind City|
Now that i have that information out of the way, which by the way, is all very relevant in making gold aside from needing to level Jewelcrafting.
So for now since we are still in Cataclysm waiting to be cute booty shakin' Panda Monks, we will focus on the daily quests at either Stormwind City or Orgrimmar. These daily quests need to be done each day in order to get more useful designs needed to sell on the AH for considerably large profits. I would like to point out that when getting started to stick to getting the Inferno Ruby Cuts first and pay attention the best selling gem cuts on the market for other types of Cataclysm rare gems. I am not going to tell you which cuts to get but rather to do your homework as always. The Inferno Ruby market is always great for profit since they offer the main statistics for all classes, such as: Strength, Agility and Intellect.
Remember when you had to get 3 of the same type of uncommon gem to complete your daily quest? Well you aren't the only one doing so. I like to try getting rid of my Zephryite raw gems in stacks of 3 on the day when they are needed. If you don't plan on shuffling or don't have an enchanter then use up the other uncommon gems as well be sure to cut at least 3 of each uncommon gem to more popular cuts to sell on the AH. (basically shuffling is breaking down raw materials into more useful materials to create other crafted items which can be done many different ways and i will cover this in detail at another time.)
There are many great resources on "Shuffling" and ways to calculate the risk of buying ore, especially Cataclysm ore on the internet but i will leave you with my opinion again. My opinion on risk is if you can quickly and roughly calculate a large profit from buying the gems and prospecting, cutting/crafting/disenchanting and whatever else you can think of doing with it, then buy the ore and buy lots of it, other wise, don't bother at that moment.
Always be patient and never rush sales the sooner you try selling the worst the prices will be and that could cause flooding in the market. (flooding is the ability to not care about your market and take a large dump on other people in that market that hold off on posting more than a few of each item at a time.
In conclusion this is my simple but long guide to Jewelcrafting for Gold Makers in World of Warcraft. I hope you enjoyed it and it was useful. If you feel you have any questions/comments/concerns just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow me on twitter @shannonlasell.
twitch.tv (Live Stream): twitch.tv/shannonlasell